If you have an item you want valued or you require ongoing or extensive genealogical or historical research beyond what the National Library can offer, contact one of the associations listed below. These associations maintain lists of members who undertake private professional research, provide valuations and/or conservation services.
This list has been prepared as a community service and the National Library does not endorse any particular association or body.
- Professional Historians of Australia.
The Council's website provides links to all State and Territory Professional Historians’ Associations.
The Professional Historians Association (NSW) Historian Register can be directly accessed here.
- The Society of Australian Genealogists.
The Society maintains a list of Diplomates of the society available for private commissions.
- Australasian Association of Genealogists and Record Agents
The Association maintains listings of members on its website.
- Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communication - Office for the Arts
The Department administers the Cultural Gifts Program and provides a list of approved valuers who can assess items.
- Auctioneers and Valuers Association of Australia
The Association's website provides a searchable members list and the range of their valuation and auction specialities
- Australian Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Material (AICCM)
The Institute's website provides a searchable Directory of conservators in private practice.