Using the checkboxes
Find online resources you can access right now
Using the 'Online only' checkbox limits your search to items which are available online. Online materials are divided into three sub-categories: Freely available, Access conditions, or Unknown (Possibly available online).
Find items in your libraries
Once you have set up a list of libraries and institutions you have access to, you can limit your search using the 'In my libraries' limit below the simple search box.
In order to set up a list of libraries that you have access to, you must first login or sign up. You can then set up a personal list of libraries from your profile page. To access your profile page, click on your user name at the top right of any screen.
Find Australian items
Using the 'Australian only' checkbox limits your search to items which are about Australia or Australians, by an Australian, or published in Australia.
Refine your search results
There are several ways you can refine your search results.
Limiting your search to a particular zone
1) Enter your desired search term and click on the green ‘Search’ button;
2) Under the heading for each zone you will see a link, ‘view all XXX results’, click on this link in the zone you would like to narrow your results down to.
Using the ‘Refine your results’ menu
This menu is a list of predefined filters and options to refine your search results.
1) The ‘Refine your search results’ menu is located on the left hand side of search result pages;
2) You can refine your results in multiple ways, click on one of the headings to see more options. For example click on the Format menu and it will expand and display more options;
Format – Filter results by their format (Book, Video, Article)
Availability – This filter allows you to filter online records by their access conditions
Decade – You can narrow your search results based on what decade they were published
Language – Select what language you would like to filter your results
Australian Content – Only return records that were published/about Australia
Selected Subject views – Some records have their subject or topic included in their record and you can filter your results on these fields.
3) When you add a filter to your results a box will appear next to the search input box that will list all the filters that have been applied to the results;
4) Click on the red ‘x’ icon to remove a particular filter;
5) You may clear all applied filters by clicking the ‘clear all’ link.
Click on the ‘Advanced search’ link located next to the green ‘Search’ button.