User Activity box
On Trove record pages, the User Activity box for tags, lists and comments is found to the right.
Tags are keywords you can add to items in Trove.
A tag can be anything you want it to be, describing a topic, a place, an event, a person, a feeling, or your personal research progress.
This image of the Sydney Opera Hours [image] could be tagged with: “Sydney Opera House”, “Jorn Utzon”, “modern architecture”, “ceramic tiles”, “Queen Elizabeth II”, “inspiring”, “exciting”, “not read”, “text correction complete”, “reading list”, and lots more besides.
You can click on any tag to view all items associated with it.
Private tags are seen only by you, but public tags are seen by all Trove users. They can help you and other users find items of interest and collect like items together.
Adding a tag
To add a tag:
- Go to an item's page.
- Click on ‘Tags’ in the User activity box to the right of the item’s title
- Click on the ‘Add a tag button’
- Click on the button next to Public or Private. You must be logged in to add a private tag.
- Type your keyword into the text box. To include a comma in your tag, surround the tag with double quotes.
- Click ‘Add a tag’. If you are not signed in you will have to complete a short ‘captcha’ test.
For Trove items accessed through the viewer, such as digitised newspapers, click the 'tag' icon, fourth down in the menu on the left. If you cannot see the tag icon, you may be viewing a newspaper page, which cannot be tagged. Click through to a newspaper article to tag it.
When you are looking at a work such as Seven Little Australians you may notice that you can add tags and comments at several different points on the page. Some of these are labelled “for this version” and others are labelled “for this work”.
- If a tag or comment refers to the story in general, it should be placed at the work level.
For example, the comment “This story is set in Sydney in the 1880s”.
- If a tag or comment refers to a particular edition, it should be placed directly under that version only.
For example, the comment “This edition has lovely illustrations” about the Centennial edition illustrated by John Lennox.
Tags can’t be edited, if you wish to edit a tag you should delete it and add a new one.
You may only delete a tag that you added while logged into Trove.
- Login to Trove with the account you used to create the tag.
- Navigate to the article or item you tagged.
- For newspaper articles, click on the small 'x' that appears next to the tag. For all other items, click on the 'Tags' link located on the right-hand side and then click on the small 'x' that appears next to the tag you wish to delete.
Comments are annotations added by users. These can help you and other users find out more information about an item, such as the names of the people in a photograph, or to provide a review of the item.
Adding a comment
A comment can contain any information relevant to an item, such as providing more information about an item, adding information about events related to the item, providing links to related items in Trove, or even providing a review of a specific book. Comments can be added to anything in Trove (except Archived Websites), and can be searched. Anyone can add a comment, even if they do not have a user account.
Adding a comment on a Trove record
- Navigate to a record.
- Click ‘Add a comment’ in the 'User activity' box at the bottom of the record.
- Choose to make your comment public or private - Public comments are seen by all Trove users, and private comments are only seen by you (you must be logged in to add a private comment).
- Type your comment into the text box and click 'Add comment'.
- If you are not signed in you will have to complete a short ‘captcha’ test.
Adding a comment on a Trove digitised item
- Click the 'comments' icon in the menu on the left of the screen - it looks like a speech bubble and says 'Comments' when you hover over it with your mouse.
- Click the 'Add' button in the 'Comments' column - If you are not signed in you will have to complete a short ‘captcha’ test.
- Type your comment and click 'Save' - If you are logged in you can choose to make your ocmment 'private' so only you can see it.
Comments can’t be edited, if you wish to edit a comment you should delete it and add a new one.
- Login to Trove with the account you used to create the comment
- Navigate to the article or item that you have added the comment to
- Open the comments widget located in the left-hand column on newspaper articles or click on the ‘Comments’ link located on the right-hand side of all other items
- Click ‘remove’ or to edit a comment instead, click ‘edit’.